I will try to write a little bit about whats happening here in Pokot. We are very busy and have been doing so much lately that I can’t tell you about everything. Yesterday was a very special day though, and here is something I wrote yesterday, but I didn’t get to go on my blog to post it then.
I have to tell you about today. We were supposed to participate in a youth camp in a small village called Kongolai. We prepared everything and packed our stuff and then drove over there. But when we got there, there was no youth camp. They had cancelled everything without informing us, this is not unusual in the African culture.
So instead we decided to go back home. But on the way we stopped next to a big river. We have never gone swimming other places than swimming pools here in Kenya. But it was so warm and we were planning to wade in the water. But it ended up that we all were soaking wet, and we also had a water fight with the local African children that were washing themselves in the river. It was so much fun! And people gathered together to watch these crazy wazungus(white people). The river was not deep at all, maybe 2 feet, and Im sure it looked very funny.
But it came something good out of it. We decided to sing some Christian songs for the people that had stopped by the river. And then we gave them a little free “flyer” about Christmas. But they didn’t leave after that. They started asking us to preach for them. So a little bit later I was standing on the back of our land rover and preaching about the lost sheep, and how Jesus is the shepherd. Many times I feel that I get courage to do things that I wouldn’t imagine myself doing. And it wasn’t a very small crowd either. Someone counted to more than 150people. So we really feel that God is using us were we are.
There is a sad thing going on close to where we are. There is a mountain called Mt Elgon were there is a civil war. There are people inside of a tribe that is fighting against each other. And it has gotten so bad that people had to escape and run away from their homes. Two of the evangelist of ELCK(the evangelical Lutheran church in Kenya) which is the church we cooperate with, lived in this area. And one week ago the police burned down their property and the whole village is destroyed.
So these two evangelist and their families are now refugees here close to were we live. And some of their kids have been really sad because of everything that has happened. We have been praying for them for a long time, and today we got an idea. We decided to invite them over for some food. And it was amazing, they were so thankful, you should have seen their faces! We made waffles, and had crackers, fruit and lots of candies. And these poor people have lost everything. They only have one bag of clothes, one bag of food and a few other things. Someone has helped them to find a small cottage where they can stay for a while. But they are really trusting God. And the first thing they said when they came, was that God had a plan for them, and that it was maybe his plan that the youth camp was cancelled. I think it’s amazing to see people that have run away from their homes, and have nothing, but they praise God for everything. They are so thankful for his protection, and believe that he will still take care of them, no matter what. We really have something to learn from them.
Well… I could write and write. There is so much to tell. Most of all I wish you could be here and see everything for yourselves.
Everyday we see new things and meet nice people.
Last week we went on a hike to a mountain. That was very cool, and we had such a great time. It was amazing to sit up in the mountains at nighttime and see the moon rise, and all the stars above. We also saw the sun rise over the plains, and it kind of reminded me of Lion king.
We also went to a dessert area, and me and another girl had fun looking for scorpions.
2 kommentarer:
Hei!
Noko adventsstemning der nede? Har du eigentleg ei postadressa der nede?
Ingjerd
Hey Audie! Sounds like things are going great for you! Know that you're thought of and prayed for daily. I love reading your stories--and now know how to pray better. Miss you tons Audie! Continue to let Christ shine in and thought your life. :) love ya B
Legg inn en kommentar